Sunday, May 20, 2012

overdue update...

so I said that I'd post a blog about the rainbow shorts when I actually got to work on them.
I'd fully meant to do more blogs throughout the process to show progress pictures and what not, but if you follow me on flickr I had been posting stuff there (and on instagram within the last couple days 'cause I got my fancy new droid xD)
I went into it thinking it was going to be super simple, but I also didn't originally plan to sew 29 pairs of shorts xD
if you read the last blog you'll already know some of this, but whatever.
only 23 of those 29 pairs got bleached and dyed, while I left the 6 extra pairs as the light denim color that they were to begin with and just distressed them.
I spent about 15 hours the first day cutting out the pieces for and sewing all 29 pairs.
the next day I spent about 8 hours doing as much distressing as I possibly could.
the day after that I finished with the distressing and rinsed/dried them all to make the frayed bits look better and more actually worn.
the next day I got started with the bleaching which took something like 4-5 hours 'cause for whatever reason the bleach I bought sucks and just didn't seem to want to take the color out of the denim in a timely manner.
that night after I'd finished with the bleaching and had given them some time to dry part of the way I applied the dye to all of the shorts and let them sit and dry for nearly 48 hours before I rinsed and washed them.
it was kind of more work than I'd figured, but I'm really happy with how they turned out in the end 'cause the parts where I thought the colors looked really muddy actually don't look bad after they were washed since you can't really see where each color set when they're still covered in dye, so in some of the places where I thought too many colors mixed it wasn't actually bad because not all of the colors set where they bled.
I'm hoping to get pictures taken of all the pairs that will be for sale within the next couple days 'cause I know some people are waiting for them to be available already, it's just going to take a bit since I have to take pictures of the front and back of every pair since they're all different.
I'm also hoping to get an SD size pattern worked out 'cause some people expressed interest in them, and I don't generally like to sew fitted  things for dolls that I don't have in house; but I think if I can get a friend to help me with the measurements I'd need, and trying on a test pair or two then I can manage it.

anyway...
enough babbling, here are some shots of the finished shorts!

this was when the dye was still wet.

lena wearing the first pair that I decided I was for sure keeping. 

instagram spam of a bunch of the finished pairs.
some of those pictured will be for sale, but some are pairs that I'm keeping for myself.
and I'm eleanoranne on instagram by the way if you happen to want to follow me on there ^_^

10 comments:

  1. Your shorts look super cool!
    Can't wait to see them up on Etsy ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ^_^
      I'm hoping to get them all up within the week, it's just going to take a bit to take and edit all of the photos 'cause 27 pairs of shorts is a lot xD

      Delete
  2. These are seriously awesome. Well worth the extra time it took to make them! Miss Kitty is upset her butt is too big to fit into a pair! I keep telling her; honey, you gotta lay of the cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha aww poor miss kitty.
      I thought she could wear minifee size bottoms, or do they have to be like super stretchy?
      the shorts do have some stretch to them, but I'm not sure how much bigger she is so I dunno if it'd be enough.

      Delete
  3. These are so amazing!! You did such a fabulous job! Do you think they'd fit a MNF boy? I'd love to grab a pair when you get them up, but boys are all I have XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much!
      I can't say for sure since I don't have a minifee boy in house to try them on, but looking at the measurements on the fairyland site the boys seem to be a little bigger in the waist but smaller in the hips than the girls, and I made the shorts to be pretty low-rise and sit at the hips, so I'm thinking that they'd be okay on the boys aside from maybe looking a little shorter since I know that the boys are taller than the girls and have longer legs (I'm sort of planning a boy/girl hybrid at some point 'cause I want izzy to be a minifee, but she needs to be taller than lena so I was thinking about trying to swap for a pair of boy legs xD)

      Delete
    2. I think someone did that not too long ago! MNF boy legs are as nice as the girls lol so it should work.

      I'm sure my Karsh won't mind if his shorts are short XD He's a little on the girly side and since rainbow colors are his thing...I'll have to give it a try. My roommate has a DC Bella that they'll fit (I hope) if they don't fit Jen, so they won't go to waste! Or I'll make Mini-Alex wear them. Or not. He'd probably come to life and stab me with tiny, doll-sized knives in the night...

      Delete
    3. yeah I've seen a couple people swap boy legs and girl legs before, and the tops of the legs seem to be exactly the same it's just that the boy legs are longer.
      haha oh god, I can totally see the rainbow shorts on mini-alex and he is not happy about it xD

      Delete
    4. Now I have to do it!! Alexes needs some humiliation in their lives. It keeps them in line.

      Delete
    5. hahaha indeed. the alexes can't be allowed to run the show all the time xD

      Delete