Thursday, May 10, 2012

rainbooows

so I was on tumblr awhile back and came across this picture of a girl wearing these amazing distressed rainbow stripe denim shorts.
I knew right away that I just had to make some for Lena 'cause they're just so very her, but I wasn't really sure how to go about dying them since generally in the past when I've tried to dye things that are striped or specifically patterned where you don't want too much running/blending I've managed to make a mess; then  I saw AndreasChoice post a how-to video, and apparently the colors bleeding isn't actually that big of an issue since you kind of want them to blend at least a little anyway.
so I picked up a tulip brand tie-dye kit and some bleach at the store since I've always had nice results when working with tulip brand dye in the past, and oh I'm going to make so many pairs of shorts xD
the kit I bought comes with enough dye to make up to 20 t-shirts, so I'd imagine I can get a whole bunch of pairs of doll size shorts out of it; and I actually have a pair of jeans that got a big hole in them awhile back that will be perfect for dolly shorts 'cause they're pretty thin stretchy denim.
I'll probably make some pairs to list if I can manage to make enough pairs that fit nicely 'cause I generally fail at pants/shorts making, but I'm going to give it a shot xD
I don't know yet what I'd charge for them if I do end up listing some, it'll depend on how long they take me to mak.
I've embedded the video by Andrea below, you should definitely take a look at it 'cause even if you don't want to make shorts, you could really stripe dye anything.
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh i want to see those when you're done with them! They look fabulous in human size! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I'll definitely post about it here once I get some done.
      I made a pair of dark blue/almost black denim shorts last night to test the pattern I made before I started cutting up the good denim to work on shorts to bleach and dye.
      I'm going to make a second pair to test the adjusted pattern and then hopefully get to work on a bunch of pairs to dye 'cause I know I want at least a few pairs to keep, and I have lots of denim and dye so I'll probably be making some to list as well.

      Delete